Thursday, March 12, 2009

Interview with the Brazilian cartoonist Rafa Camargo


* NAYER:THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT HARRY TRUMAN SAID ONCE:
"I JUST AM AFRAID ONLY OF DEATH AND CARTOONISTS!"
WHAT DO YOU THINK THAT HIDDEN THING WHICH MAKES HARRY TRUEMAN BE AFRAID OF YOU, CARTOONISTS??
Camargo: Probably something wrong to hide. The intelligent and correct man is always able to laugh about himself.

*NAYER: RAFA, YOU DRAW SPORTS CARTOONS FOR THE NEWSPAPER "JOURNAL TRIBUNA DO PARANA ", DO YOU CONCIDER YOURSELF A SPORTMAN DRAW CARTOONS, OR YOU ARE A CARTOONIST DRAW ABOUT SPORTS?
Camargo: I always practiced sports since childhood. Curiously my passions are sports and drawing, but i just had this opportunity to mix both, 3 years ago when i began to draw for newspapers. I feel this daily work like an "expressive exercise"

*NAYER: WHAT IS THAT THING THAT LET YOU TO BE SPOTRTS CARTOONIST? , IS IT THE WIDESPREAD AND POPULARTY OF FOOTBALL IN BRAZIL WHICH INSPIRE YOU TO BE A PORFFISNAL SPORT CARTOONIST?
Camargo: Not really. As long as a like football, I was volleyball player for 12 years. I was terrible with feet. I was always the last option in the school team.

*NAYER:DURING YOUR WORK IN CARTOONS FIELD, DO YOU FIND THAT THE DAILY CARTOON IS USEFUL FOR THE CARTOONIST??
I GUESS THIS PUTS THE CARTOONIST UNDER DAILY PRESSURE AND TIED HIM TO FIND AND CREATE A GOOD IDEA EVERY DAY... AND THIS IDEA SHOULD BE BETTER THAN THE FORMER ONE ... BECAUSE ALWAYS THE READERS WANT THE BEST FROM YOU!
Camargo: I think that an artist professional is like another worker. We are using our minds, hands, sensibility like everyone and like everyone we have right and wrong ideas, but the most important thing is the daily "help yourself critic"! Just working hard and having passion

*NAYER: SOME PEOPLE SAY THAT THE CULUTRAL BACKGROUND AND THE IDOLOGGICAL CONVICTIONS AND SOME TIMES WITH THE SOCIAL AND POLTICAL SITUATION CONTRIBUTE IN THE MAKING THE CARTOONIST PERSONALITY.
THIS ALL FACTORES COULD BE INSPEARTION FOR THE CARTOONIS, AND SOME TIMES IT MAKE SOME CONFUSTION ESPEACILLY IF THE CARTOONIST TRIES TO CRITICIZE THE ELEMENT WHICH MADE HIS PERSONALITY.
I SAID ALL OF THIS BECAUSE I KNOW YOU IS A BIG FAN OF ATLETICO PARANAENSE. IS THIS CONTRIBUTING TO MAKE YOU JOB EASY OR HARD? ESPEACILLY WEN THE FANS OF ANOTHER CLUBS WILL CONSEDER YOU IMPARTIAL, OR AT LEAST NOT NEUTRAL. AND WHAT YOU DO WHEN THEY LOSE SOME MATCH?
Camargo: All the human areas have different ways to agree or not. The difference is great because just this give us the opportunity to change, to respect the other, to understand that the same respect I want I should demonstrate. Looks like "unreal" this word but should be the only one.

*NAYER: WHO IS THE CATOONIST OR CARTOONISTS THAT YOU CONSIDER HIM/THEM YOU IDEAL INSIDE OR OUTSIDE BRAZIL!
Camargo: In Brazil we have great cartoonist. "Angeli" is kind of an icon for my generation but there is Ziraldo, the Caruso´s Twin. Actually Dalcio Machado, Gustavo Duarte. Internationally the Argentine Quino (Mafalda) is incredible.

*NAYER:YOU PAINTED MANY GOOD CARTOONS IN YOU LONG JOURNEY AS A CARTOONIST...
BUT DID YOU WISH ONCE SOME DAY THAT ONE OF YOUR CARTOONS DISAPPEARED AND YOU ARE WRONG WHEN YOU DREW IT??
Camargo: Sure! I'm always trying to be better and when I look back I think always something could be better. I have a lot to learn. Always!

*NAYER:WE NEED YOU TO LET AS SEE THE HIDDEN SIDE OF YOU ... LIKE YOUR INTERESTS, HOBBIES AND HOW LIVE OUT OF YOUR STUDIO?? I GUESS MOST OF THE READERS WILL SAY YOU PLAY FOOTBALL ? IS IT RIGHT?
Camargo: I was the worst playing football. My school coach always put me in the goal. When i was 11, i began play volley and this gave me a lot of friends and discipline like any sport. Football in Brazil is for major radicalism and sometimes this is not good. Any radicalism could blind you!

*NAYER: AT LAST ... WHAT DO WANT TO SAY TO OUR READERS IN SUDAN?
Camargo: First of all is a pleasure has this chance to exchange ideas and say something for another admired culture. I love travel and maybe someday I can visit Sudan. I just can wish the best always. Respect, peace and attitude for a positive life.

No comments: